- Where on Earth do you think you'd find the largest amount of animal life? e.g. The Amazon Rainforest, the African savannah, etc.
- Have you ever been snorkelling or scuba diving? Where did you go? What was it like? What did you see?
- Do you eat seafood? How many kinds of seafood can you name? How many types of sea animal have you ever tried?
- Mt Everest is the world's tallest mountain, but do you know what the deepest place in the world is called?
- Would you prefer to live on the Moon or under the sea? Why?
Go to YouTube and watch this video-
David Gallo's TED talk- The Deep Oceans, a River of Life with Bill Lange.
Watch the video again and answer these questions-
- What does David think about the Titanic?
- How deep are the oceans, on average?
- The oceans have most of what things?
- What's the name of the submarine they use?
- Marcell Proust said:
- "The true voyage of _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ is not so much in seeking new _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ as in having new _ _ _ _ ."
- What kind of animal is one of his favourites? What is special about it? How long does it get?
- What is most of the biomass of the oceans made of?
- What 3 things do the jellyfish use their bioluminescence for?
- How long can some of these little understood animals become?
- What strange thing do the "octopods" do to their submarine?
- What is the importance of these video images to scientists?
- What places does the Mid-Ocean Ridge pass through?
- "… the Caribbean, _ _ _ _ _ _ _ - _ _ _ _ _ _ _, and end up against the _ _ _ _ _ _ _."
- What separate ways do the researchers normally see the underwater world?
- What temperature can you get at a hydrothermal vent? How far underwater are they?
- Hydrothermal vents are caused when _ _ _ _ _ gets into _ _ _ _ _ _ in the seafloor and comes into contact with _ _ _ _ _ that heats it up.
- What is the white material seen on the hydrothermal vent chimney?
- With no sunlight, all the energy to support life at these depths comes from _ _ _ _ _ _ the _ _ _ _ _.
- What does a tube worm normally do when it's touched by a crab?
- What extreme temperatures do the worms shown like to live in?
- How many new species were counted on a recent dive?
- Why is the camera technology so important for this science?
- What is the white mark on the back of the shrimp for?
- What does David say to indicate how poisonous the vent emissions are?
- "This stuff is t _ x _ _ as h _ _ _ , by the way, you _ _ _ _ _ never get a _ _ _ _ _ _ to _ _ _ _ this in the ocean."
- What important event in the history of life do some scientists say happened at these vents?
- What comparison does he make between the vents and the rainforests?
- Did you find the talk interesting?
- What was the most interesting or surprising thing you learnt?
- Do you think this kind of research is important, or not? What are your reasons?
Check the answers here.